October 21st (2 Sessions)
special guest speaker: mark weakland
Teachers will learn and retell…
- How reading arises in the brain and why reading difficulties of all types develop
- Why Tier I is the best place to prevent reading difficulties
- Why activities that teach word meaning, sound and spelling enable proficient reading
- Highly effective teaching techniques, appropriate for all learners in all grades and especially helpful to those students who struggle to learn phonics and spelling
- Phonological activities that set the stage for orthographic mapping
- Phonic-based activities useable in any program, scripted or otherwise
- Spelling strategies that teach students how to spell
- Classroom activities that connect spelling, phonics, and vocabulary and lead to the recording of words in the “brain dictionary”
- Re-reading activities that build fluency neural constructs of words and lead to automatic word recognition and fluent reading
Limited Time Only - Register now:
- 10% discount on registration till September 30
Coupon Code: GTEC23
- Group Rates Available: CONTACT US
Special Gift for Participants:
Each attending participant will receive a free copy of Mark's book "How to Prevent Reading Difficulties"
See You There!
How to Prevent Reading Difficulties
Time: Saturday, October 21, 2023
Grades 3-8, 8-11 am
Grades PreK-2, 12-3 pm
Location: HCDE 6300 Irvington Blvd, Houston, TX 77022
Join us for a fun, fast-paced, phonics-focused session of professional development. National presenter, author, and traveling teacher Mark Weakland will set the stage with an explanation of how reading arises in the brain and why reading difficulties develop. Then comes the most important part: how to prevent reading difficulties from occurring! Mark will discuss and model (and participants will practice) over two dozen powerful and easy to implement classroom practices, including: four highly effective teaching techniques every teacher can and should use; activities, such as Look Touch Say, that integrate phonics and meaning; multi-sensory activities that help students permanently store spelling-phonic patterns in their brains, re-reading routines that build automatic word recognition, and word learning activities, like advanced word ladders and dot and check spelling, that integrate spelling, phonics, vocabulary, and even Latin roots.
Methods of Payment
Option 1 - Credit Card Purchases(s)
Click on the "Register Now" button for the session(s) you want to purchase. When you are finished selecting all session(s), choose the "CART" option on the left of the screen. Then, follow the instructions to complete registration. (If registering someone else, please add the participant's name(s) and email address(es) to the "Notes" field on "Check Out.").
For schools that prefer an invoice, please send request(s) to GoldingtouchEdCon@Gmail.com . Invoices must be paid by credit card at least eight (8) days in advance of the first Session.
Option 2 - Pay by Check
To pay by check, request an invoice at GoldingtouchEdCon@Gmail.com. Check(s) must be received eight (8) days before the first session begins.
Please review Terms and Conditions listed below.
Terms & Conditions
"No one gets up in front of a classroom of students intending to do a bad job. Every teacher wants students to be successful. As long as they're willing, we can help them make it happen.”